Monday, January 16, 2012

Paleo Chicken Skewers

I had a party to go to on Saturday to watch my beloved Bronco's play...yes I know they got demolished :( I wanted to bring something that I could eat but also looked appetizing to the rest of the guests so I made two kinds of chicken skewers...Buffalo Chicken Skewers and Thai Satay Chicken Skewers. They turned out great and were a hit at the party. They would be a great thing to cook up in the beginning of the week and use for a snack as well as meals. The Buffalo skewers I served with the standard celery and cherry tomato's and blue cheese (Not for you Paleo peeps). The Thai skewers were served alone on a bed of grilled green onions with the peanut dipping sauce.
Since I am new at this Paleo thing, I hope that if the Paleo Police are watching that both of these would be Paleo approved...I am pretty sure they are.
The picture above is not of either of these recipes, grrr! I forgot to take a picture of the finished product which really urks me, I always forget when I am taking food somewhere and thats always when my food looks the prettiest :)
 
TIPS:
I did cut the chicken on both more into pieces and after they were cooked I took them of the skewers and served with toothpicks
If you are grilling the Buffalo Chicken Skewers inside on a grill pan be forewarned you will have some spicy hot smoke goin on in the house, so if you have elderly (lol, I am speaking of my mom and dad :)) or kids it might be bothersome.
 
SALUTE!
 
 
Thai Satay Chicken Skewers
 
INGREDIENTS:

1 pound boneless skinless chicken breast

1/3 cup soy sauce ** I use SAN-J Tamari soy sauce with reduced sodium, most grocery stores carry it

2 tablespoons fresh lime juice

2 cloves garlic, minced

1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger **use fresh it makes a difference, store it in the freezer it will last forever

3/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes

2 tablespoons water

 3/4 cup canned unsweetened coconut milk

1 tablespoon creamy peanut butter **use straight PB none of this Skippy or JIF crap.
 Grind your own at the store, most stores have these now

4 green onions you could use these cut up on the skewers or just grill on there own then trim afterwards

I added a smidgen of Sriracha hot sauce to my peanut sauce



PREPARATION:
  1. Cut chicken crosswise into 3/8-inch-wide strips; place in shallow glass dish.
  2. Combine soy sauce, lime juice, garlic, ginger and red pepper flakes in small bowl. Reserve 3 tablespoons mixture. Add water to remaining mixture. Pour over chicken; toss to coat well. Cover; marinate in refrigerator at least 30 minutes or up to 2 hours, stirring mixture occasionally.
  3. Soak 8 (10- to 12-inch) bamboo skewers 20 minutes in cold water to prevent them from burning; drain, or use metal skewers. Prepare grill for direct cooking.
  4. Meanwhile, for peanut sauce, combine coconut milk, 3 tablespoons reserved soy sauce mixture and peanut butter in small saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring constantly. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, 2 to 4 minutes or until sauce thickens. Keep warm.
  5. Drain chicken; reserve marinade. Weave 3 to 4 chicken strips accordion-style onto each skewer, alternating with green onion pieces if adding those. Discard remaining marinade.
  6. Place skewers on grid. Grill skewers on uncovered grill over medium-hot coals 6 to 8 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink, turning halfway through grilling time. Serve with warm peanut sauce for dipping.


Buffalo Chicken Skewers
 
 
Ingredients:
 
1 pound chicken tenders, cut into 1-inch strips

1/3 cup buffalo wing sauce **I use Franks Red Hot Sauce

FOR SERVING:

celery


grape tomatoes

Blue cheese dressing

Directions:

In a large bowl, combine the chicken and buffalo wing sauce. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hr but best if done overnight.
Prepare wooden skewers, soaked in water for 30 minutes or metal skewers 
Preheat the grill to medium-high heat. Spray a grill rack with nonstick, nonflammable cooking spray.
Thread 1 piece chicken onto the skewers. Grill, covered, until the chicken is cooked through, 4 to 5 minutes per side. Serve with blue cheese dressing, (again not you Paleo peeps!) celery and tomato's

No comments:

Post a Comment