Monday, June 6, 2011

Black Bean Taco Salad with Lime Vinagerette

I have made this salad a few times for family and friends and it's always a hit. I was looking for a taco salad that was better for you with a twist. This one I found on Recipe.com. The recipe came from cooking light magazine. I have changed a few things: The lettuce called for iceberg, I use red or green or a mix of both. I like a darker leaf with a little more nutrition. It also called for low fat cheese, which I never use, I don't like the taste or the texture. I would prefer to add less regular fat cheese to cut back on calories than use low fat. The last change was baked tortilla chips, this one I could take or leave, either using no chips, baked organic...ENJOY!



• YIELD: 4 servings (serving size: about 2 cups salad and 1 cup chips)
• COURSE: Main Dishes, Salads
Ingredients
• Vinaigrette:
• 1/4 cup chopped seeded tomato
• 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
• 2 tablespoons olive oil
• 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
• 1 teaspoon grated lime rind
• 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
• 1/4 teaspoon salt
• 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
• 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
• 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
• 1 garlic clove, peeled
• Salad:
• 8 cups thinly sliced lettuce
• 1 1/2 cups chopped ready-to-eat roasted skinned, boned chicken breast (about 2 breasts)
• 1 cup chopped tomato
• 1 cup chopped green bell pepper
• 1 cup finely diced red onion
• 1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
• 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
• 4 cups tortilla chips (about 4 ounces)

Preparation
• To prepare vinaigrette, combine first 11 ingredients in a blender or food processor; process until smooth.
• To prepare salad, combine lettuce and remaining ingredients except chips in a large bowl. Add vinaigrette; toss well to coat. Serve with chips.
Cooking Light
JULY

No comments:

Post a Comment