Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Ode to National Running Day



I am sure you have heard many of reasons why people run. I am sure a lot of you could think of reasons why NOT to run. I began running when I quit smoking...so I have been a beginner runner more times than I can count. It took a lot of time for me to fall in love with running. I can think of a hundred times where I was not in love with running, days where I dread going, days where it seems so hard, days that I don't do it and then feel like shit for the rest of the day because I didn't. Then there are days like today...

I woke up this morning feeling pretty sorry for myself, lying on the couch thinking about how I live with my parents, not wanting to go to my new job, worried about money, no energy to make my morning oatmeal. This didnt last too long because having two kids doesn't allow you to feel sorry for yourself for too long (thank god) so after my morning duties it was time for my run. The sun was shining so that helped lift my spirits some (we have'nt had sun in what seems like a year) As I took off down the road I got a burst of energy and decided this needs to be a long run, because, one I've gotta work off all the crap I ate over the weekend and two I gotta do something to help clear my head.

About a mile into my run I thought to myself, what is my problem? This is MY LIFE! I have wasted so much of my life looking for others to fulfill something in me, to decide for me where my life was going to go. It's time for me to quit feeling sorry for myself, If I want something different, I need to do something different. DUH!

It's not like this concept is new to me, I have heard it on TV, I have read it in books and magazines...but for some reason this morning on my run it just hit me! I have had a few "AHA" moments on my runs and that's my #1 reason to run...it clears my head and gives me perspective, it may not happen every time but I am willing to run as many times as it takes to have that one run that gives me perspective on my MESSY life.

So if your out and about and you see me looking crazy running down the road with a smile on my face and skip in my step don't be alarmed I have not lost it, it's just me running while getting a little perspective :)

1 comment:

  1. Love this! Ode to running. I still have that love/hate relationship with it. :)

    ReplyDelete